Thursday, July 29, 2021

My Thoughts on my Mochilla Bag

 


    Hey girl hey! It’s review time. I purchased this gorgeous mochilla bag a few months ago and I wanted to wait for some time to pass before reviewing them. I’ve been so excited to share all the deets on these with you because I find them to be such cool bags.

What is a Mochilla Bag?

    For those of you who don’t know, Mochilla bags derived from the Arhuaca people of Colombia. As these hand-woven staples became popular, it took a whole new meaning in being a symbol of Colombian identity. Beginning as bags that were woven in earth tones, like brown and black, they have now become the most colorful bags to shop for. They have also been worn by a few celebrities. 

     But, these bags didn’t begin as a fashion trend. They were actually used resourcefully. Some were used to carry goods from one place to another and others were used for personal belongings. However, in recent years, newer versions of these bags have emerged for fashion purposes. While, still keeping key parts of it’s original style.

      Before thinking about buying this bag, I felt a little out of character. Why? Well, for one I’m not hispanic nor do I have any bit of ancestral history in any spanish speaking regions. But, I couldn’t overlook the beautiful details in these bags and the unique stitching and color pattern that each one comes in. It also made me curious as to where these bags originated and I feel like I learned a lot more about Colombian culture.


RAIZ BOHEMIA Mochilla Bags

    I didn’t want my first mochilla bag to be from a random shop but one that I felt embodied the color and energy that these bags give off. That’s when Raiz Bohemia came into the picture. Her shop features artisanal goods like mochilla bags, straps, huarache shoes and uniquely designed clutches. 

     I purchased the Sahara Wayuu Mochilla bag. It features super sandy earth tones like yellow, brown, black, burnt orange and creme. I had my eye on it for a while and when I found out she was having a sale, I had to snag it. 

    But before I get into it, let’s talk about the details of my actual order. This style of bag is $60 (not including $5 shipping). This isn't too bad of a price considering the quality you get. I was able to receive 20% off during the sale, which felt like such a win. The bag shipped out super quick, which is a huge thing for me when shopping online. And to add to that, it came in the cutest confetti wrapped package. 


      Seeing my bag in person was really a beautiful moment. Ask my husband! I strutted around our apartment trying it on and exclaiming how much I loved it. It was just as pictured and to be honest, even cuter in person! One thing I was concerned about with the style I purchased, was that the straps would be too thick. I felt it might overwhelm an outfit and not act as an accessory to it. But, if paired with a solid color blouse or dress, it works so well. 

      The bags don’t have an ordinary closing mechanism either. They don’t even have zips or inner/outer pockets. But, I still felt like my belongings were completely safe and secure. Why? Well, they have the CUTEST pom pom tassels that, when tied, cinches each bag to a close. 


All in All,

    I have to say that I will be wearing this bag for a very long time. The quality is superb and well-made. This sturdy bag will be sure to come along with me on many many journeys. Be sure to check out RAIZBOHEMIA for your own unique artisanal goods! Comment down below your favorite style of bag! I'd love to get your thoughts and maybe swap ideas. 


No comments:

< > Home
emerge © , All Rights Reserved. BLOG DESIGN BY Sadaf F K.